*************************************************************

Welcome to The Primitive Cornish Hovel. A place where I will share my love of prim, vintage, family history, many interests & everyday life. I hope to show you a glimpse of a bygone age through the history of my family & the many 'treasures' I hold dear. Mixed in with this will be snippets of life today. Do drop in again for a visit to see what is happening at 'The Hovel'. Comments are welcomed.

*************************************************************

Friday 26 December 2008

On the Second Day of Christmas

********************
“On the second day of Christmas,
my true love sent to me
Two turtle doves,
And a partridge in a pear tree.”
********************

Continuing on from my previous post
it is thought that The Two Turtle Doves
refers to the Old and New Testaments.....
********************

Hello from the Hovel on Boxing Day. Not only is it the second day of Christmas but it is also known as St. Stephen’s Day. St. Stephen is the saint of horses and so Boxing Day is associated with horse racing and other sports today. At one time however December 26 was celebrated as a day for the giving of gifts to non-family members. Each family that served the manor received a box of gifts, usually included were cloth, leather goods, food supplies, tools, etc, and was thought to be a part of their wages. Merchants gave boxes of food to trades people, and churches gave boxes to the poor....
Many of us however will be visiting family and friends today. I for one am enjoying vegging out on the sofa watching Christmas films, after the busy few weeks I’ve had its great just to do that. My dogs are laying at my feet, the cats are asleep, a fire is blazing and the Christmas tree lights are twinkling....Bliss!...lol...
*********************
"Good King Wenceslas looked out,
On the feast of Stephen,
When the snow lay round about,
Deep and crisp and even:
Brightly shone the moon that night,
Though the frost was cruel,
When a poor man came in sight,
Gathering winter fuel."
********************

No comments: