*************************************************************

Welcome to The Primitive Cornish Hovel. A place where I will share my love of prim, vintage, family history, many interests & everyday life. I hope to show you a glimpse of a bygone age through the history of my family & the many 'treasures' I hold dear. Mixed in with this will be snippets of life today. Do drop in again for a visit to see what is happening at 'The Hovel'. Comments are welcomed.

*************************************************************

Friday 22 April 2011

Happy Good Friday & Earth Day

********************

********************




Hello from the Hobblers at the Hovel....why Hobblers you may ask? I have given this nickname to my hubby and me at the present time because that's what we are. Due to my enthusiastic de-clutting mode my personality surged ahead and my body finally protested. I knew I was silly doing what I did but my goal is to finally get the spare room, etc, sorted so I can have a proper spare bedroom for my grandees to come and stay over. I did take it steady but you know what it's like when you're on a roll....well with my various back conditions I suffered for my good intentions and thus am slowly hobbling about.


~~~~~~~


Hubby was very good helping with small day to day chores, including playing with the dogs. One such event was a game of football!!! Going for the kick of the season hubby put all his strength into the kick and hit the concrete instead..ouch..On my advice due to a rather swollen and very brused right toe my son took him to hospital and yep he has broken his toe. Well you can imagine what the pair of us look like and the moral of this tale is to remember that we are now middled-aged and not in our twenties any more..lol..




********************

********************


I hope you all had a relaxing Good Friday. April 22nd was also Earth Day, or Mother Earth as it is also called. I prefer Mother Earth because that's what it is. For without the Earth, like our mothers, we would not be here. I do try on a daily basis to help in some way to minimise the effects our modern world has on the earth. I recycle, etc, and am careful of what I use both inside the house and garden and always open to any ideas.


~~~~~~~


With the earth in mind I would like to show you a beautiful corner of Cornwall that I visited last May along with my very good friends Una and Jan. Set in an unspoilt natural landscape is Caerhays Castle near Mevagissey...Apologies for the poor quality photos but without knowing I had not got the camera on the correct setting...





The entrance to Caerhays Castle






Just inside is this small cottage with an interesting sign on the gate



The lady in question was very nice and not at all scary..lol.
After walking up the driveway Caerhays castle was seen in the distance



The castle was owned by the Trevanion family from 1370 to 1840. Unfortunately due to being heavily in debt the family fled to Paris living everything including the family dog and horses. The bailiffs moved in and Caerhays Castle was abandonded for 13 years until a Cornish member of Parliament, Michael Williams, purchased the property and restored it. The castle has since remained in the Williams family and both the gardens and castle are opended to the public....So please join me in a tour of the castle grounds...




A splash of colour

But first coffee and cake beckons across the yard



Nearly there



What a quaint cottage. Would love to live here but wouldn't want the visitors..lol..



Doorway to shop and cafe



Some interesting items in one of the outside buildings


















My very good friends Una & Jan before we set off for our walk



Shades of green, pink and white

















No formal garden here, nature as it should be




Look a Fairy Door




Nature's Archway





A carpet of bluebells under the shade of a tree




Left to Nature



Splashes of colour overhanging a Cornish stone wall




The Art of Nature




The beauty of nature's own design




The Nature Trail Continues




The view through the trees




A Rustic Walkway to the Castle
















The Beauty of Wisteria



The Castle awaits for our guided tour




Who Awaits in the Tower?




A last look before we go for lunch




The view as we walk back down the driveway



********************


There is a lovely beach belonging to the estate called Porthluney Cove and is for public use. Unfortunately my camera battery was flat by this time so I was unable to take any photos. After a great time in the grounds and castle we sat here for our picnic lunch. I would certainly like to visit here again....




Until next time take care...Hugs Chrissy xx




No comments: