*************************************************************

Welcome to The Primitive Cornish Hovel. A place where I will share my love of prim, vintage, family history, many interests & everyday life. I hope to show you a glimpse of a bygone age through the history of my family & the many 'treasures' I hold dear. Mixed in with this will be snippets of life today. Do drop in again for a visit to see what is happening at 'The Hovel'. Comments are welcomed.

*************************************************************

Thursday 31 July 2008

Good Evening From The Hovel

‘Rain, Rain Go Away
Come Back Another Day’
~~~~~

Yes that’s right the hot summer days of last week didn’t last. We’ve had rain and wind but this evening for a brief spell the sun broke through the clouds, so brief that if you blinked you missed it. It’s not cold as such but muggy in the daytime with a damp chilly feel at night, almost as if autumn is coming early. But saying that autumn will soon be here and you know what that means.....Halloween will not be long. I do so love the build up to All Hallows Eve, a time for stories to be told around an open fire, planning what to wear and of course getting ready for Trick or Treat...but I digress, after all it is still summer....
~~~~~
~~~~~

It’s been a funny mixed week here at the Hovel. All the plans for getting the garden done and fences painted went by the way due to the rain. So finding no other excuse to avoid it I tackled the inside of my house, well attempted to. As you may know I have been de-cluttering.....to date I have disposed of 50 files/box files, knitting & craft patterns and magazines. Hubby’s and son’s clothes have been sorted with only mine to do!!! My computer desk and bureau are organized, wow what space. ...now this is good for me. There are still lots more to do but I will get there eventually. To help me not want to keep any ‘to go’ stuff I usually take it to the charity shop as soon as possible and yesterday was no exception. So collecting all the bags away I went. However what I’d forgotten about was that inside one of these bags was a ball that a friend had given Merlin and Arthur to play with (Merlin & Arthur being my two dogs!!). Now this ball was no ordinary ball for it made lots of noises when touched, hence it going to the charity shop!!! So all the way to the charity shop, calling into the bank on the way, I was accompanied by the constant noises of dogs barking, cats meowing , owls hooting, pigs grunting, cocks crowing and goodness knows what other animal noises!!!! I got some funny stares I can tell you but I just smiled....
~~~~~
After I returned home I decided to have a break from The Files I decided to organize my collections of vintage photographs and postcards, didn’t realize I had so many.....Talking about photographs I received some interesting ones by email from a friend of hubby’s. Over the weekend Andy phoned from work to say that this ‘old-fashioned’ sailing ship was seen near St. Ives but unfortunately he was not able to take a photograph of it. However yesterday I opened my emails to find photos of the ship plus others. The sailing ship was The Matthew, a replica of explorer John Cabot's square-rigged vessel, which was on its way back from Brittany where it had taken part in a maritime festival in Brest and had stopped briefly in the Scilly Isles. It has now returned to the Bristol docks after six weeks away and is getting ready to star in this weekend's EDF Energy Bristol Harbour Festival. I would have loved to have seen it but the pictures below show what my hubby saw........

~~~~~

'The Matthew'
~~~~~

'The Matthew' sailing past Godrevey Lighthouse
Godrevey Lighthouse of Virginia Woolf's 'To the Lighthouse' fame

~~~~~

I would like to thank Ron Rook of The Rookery Guest House of St. Ives for the beautiful photos you see here and the one below.
~~~~~
A Beautiful Sunrise at Godrevey Lighthouse
~~~~~

As you know my son Christopher and his fiancée Jane are getting married on December 31st this year. Their original plan was that they were going to get married in a registry office....wrong as from yesterday. It all started on Saturday night when Jane & I had a girly night by watching some films, one being My Best Friend’s Wedding. While watching the film Jane made a comment which caused me to press pause....’I would love to get married in church’....So me being me said ‘Go ahead then’, after all your wedding day should be one of the happiest day of your life. This being said and agreed by both Christopher and Jane, they planned to visit the vicar and arrange it all. Fine, no problem.....fast forward to Tuesday night at about 9pm when two happy people plus a gurgling baby.....did I tell you that Jane has the most adorable seven month old baby daughter and I will not only be a mother-in-law but a nana as well....no well that’s for another time...hehe...back to Tuesday night. The reason for this happy visit was to tell me that they had been to see the vicar and that he was coming to see them to discuss everything. Where and when I ask....... ‘Oh, here tomorrow at 11am’........WHAT! the vicar coming to the Hovel!!!! Well you can guess what I was going to do, feather duster and cleaner here I come. Ok, the house would have done fine but you know what it’s like and it’s not every day a vicar comes calling.....Suffice to say the house was ready by next morning and I stayed out of the way. So now the church is booked for their special day and I am secretly pleased that they chose to marry in church. It will be a fresh new start for them both as they begin their married like together at the start of a New Year......that is why they chose New Year’s Eve. Having not chosen wisely in the past they both felt that it was symbolic to start a new life together on the first day of the New Year. I can relate to that......until next time....lol...
~~~~~~~~

‘An old broom knows the dirty corners best’
Irish Saying

~~~~~~~~

2 comments:

Debra said...

What a wonderful ship! Your husband is so lucky to have seen it!
Good you got the pictures to share- I so enjoyed them!

KernowWitch said...

Thanks Debra, Andy said he couldn't believe what he was seeing at first, said it reminded him of the ship in the film 'The Goonies'. I was grateful to Ron for allowing me to post his photos. Wish I'd seen it...Hugs Chrissy x