*************************************************************

Welcome to The Primitive Cornish Hovel. A place where I will share my love of prim, vintage, family history, many interests & everyday life. I hope to show you a glimpse of a bygone age through the history of my family & the many 'treasures' I hold dear. Mixed in with this will be snippets of life today. Do drop in again for a visit to see what is happening at 'The Hovel'. Comments are welcomed.

*************************************************************

Monday 2 April 2012

Remembering My Late Mother-in-Law.....


Hello from the Hovel. After a lovely sunny day the evening is now quite chilly. As I write this post two beautiful children are asleep upstairs, yes my two eldest grandees are staying with us for a few days. I hope the weather is good tomorrow because a visit to the beach is planned. The children have their buckets and spades ready in preparation.... But the main purpose for today's post is in remembrance of my mother-in-law Margaret Joan Ward nee Laws who passed away 11 years ago on April 2nd 2001 aged 77, just 11 days before her 78th birthday....


Margaret Joan Ward nee Laws..

A beautiful talented lady who left us too soon and is still greatly missed. She had a mischievous smile and a heart of gold. Margaret, or 'mum' as I was proud to call her, was a exceptional craftswoman and could turn her hand to anything. I have some beautiful examples of her work, with I will show at a later date. Up until the day she took ill mum continued to make her own clothes. Card making, embroidery, stamping, lacework, you name it mum could do it...



Margaret aged 2..

Maragret's other passion was gardening and it was the day after she had planted a rose bush that she took ill. With living in Cornwall we had a mad dash to Lincolnshire, where my hubby's parents lived, to see her. Sadly she never went home again....


Margaret looking smart in her younger days


Mum loved to cycle in her youth...She that smile again

One of Maragret's occupations was a embroideress and one of her many hobbies was to make banners for local churches and associations....


An example of one of the banners...


Another beautiful banner by Margaret

It was an honour to have known you mum. Always there, just not seen.....


The cover of Newsweek magazine, 19 April 1982, depicts HMS Hermes, flagship of the British Task Force.

Another anniversary also occurred on this day. It is thirty years since Argentine forces invaded the Falkland Islands. The resulting conflict between Argentine and British forces resulted in the loss of many lives. Remembering all those who lost their lives, were injured and who fought during this time....



The British Military Cemetery at San Carlos on East Falkland


Until next time, take care...Hugs Chrissy xx


'Softly the leaves of memory fall, gently I gather and treasure them all, unseen, unheard, you are always near, so missed, so loved, so very dear....'




No comments: