*************************************************************

Welcome to The Primitive Cornish Hovel. A place where I will share my love of prim, vintage, family history, many interests & everyday life. I hope to show you a glimpse of a bygone age through the history of my family & the many 'treasures' I hold dear. Mixed in with this will be snippets of life today. Do drop in again for a visit to see what is happening at 'The Hovel'. Comments are welcomed.

*************************************************************

Thursday 22 September 2011

Nathan Hale, An American Hero


********************************

********************************





Hello from the Hovel. Just a quick visit to mark the anniversary of the death of an American hero, Nathan Hale. You may think it strange than a British woman would mark this day for someone who was technically an enemy of the British but as they say, that was history..lol..

~~~~~~~

Why history you may think? Well this event happened on September 22nd 1776 during the American Revolutionary War. Nathan Hale, who was born 1755 in Connecticut, was a member of the Continental Army. He volunteered for a information-gathering misson in New York City but was captured by the British and hanged on this day aged 21. His last words before being hung were 'I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country'. Brave words. For this he was finally officially designated the State Hero of Connecticut in 1985. A long time coming but he was at last recognised for his loyalty. Regardless of race, colour or creed I respect courage and loyality....


Nathan Hale by Frederick MacMonies 1890. City Hall Park, New York


Until next time, take care...Hugs Chrissy xx


No comments: