*************************************************************

Welcome to The Primitive Cornish Hovel. A place where I will share my love of prim, vintage, family history, many interests & everyday life. I hope to show you a glimpse of a bygone age through the history of my family & the many 'treasures' I hold dear. Mixed in with this will be snippets of life today. Do drop in again for a visit to see what is happening at 'The Hovel'. Comments are welcomed.

*************************************************************

Sunday 14 April 2013

This Day in History & Events at The Hovel....



Hello from the Hovel. Yes it's me after a long break from posting here, again....but I have been genuinely very busy and had periods of illness. One bout scared me enough to take a visit to A&E in the early hours of the morning. My left arm suddenly went numb and I just didn't feel right. They think it's all connected to my back and neck. They did question if MS was in my family!!! So I have booked in to see my GP to request a scan and blood tests. Wish me luck....I know it's overdue but I thought I would mention Mothering Sunday here, yes I know that was 10th March but hey.....

A card from my son and my grandees Korenza & Dylan. Special cards made by them plus a cake made by Dylan...Bless...

A Card from my Furry Family... 

You have to laugh at my hubby. On the front it reads ' A busy Life and too many miles may keep me from seeing you as often as I like'. I know he works a lot but I do see him every day..lol..He said he picked the card because he knew I would like it and didn't read the words....Men...

Isn't my furry family clever, they can write..lol...

Me, on the left, with my sister Jenny & Dinky the dog. About 1959/1960... 

There was some sadness in our family this month. My older sister Jenny lost her battle with cancer on April 7 2013. She would have been 61 in June. Sadly we had been estranged for many years so I mourn the sister of my childhood. She is now at peace....

Dylan & Korenza

And of course the Easter holidays wouldn't be the same without the grandees staying over. We had Dylan over for 2 nights the week before his sister broke up from school. And unfortunately it was on his second night that I took ill so we had to get him out of bed and take him home. I felt really guilty about that but knew we would not be able to take him to A&E with us....Then we had both of them the following week where we did lots with them (photos to follow in next posting). Then Korenza came to stay last Tuesday and was very poorly which resulted in a visit to my GP on Friday (yes I was up most of the night with her through the week). Then a very active Dylan came to stay on Thursday. Not to be out done hubby decided to be ill Thursday onwards. The grandees went home to daddy today....needless to say one very tired woman here.....

Abraham Lincoln (Feb 12 1809 - April 15 1865)..

Now to This Day in History.....It was on April 14 1865 that President Lincoln was assassinated by John Wilkes Booth in Ford's Theatre, Washington.  Lincoln was to die from his wounds the following day, April 15th...

'Undergang der Titanic', conception by Willy Stower 1912

In the next century another event would also occur on this day. At 11:40 pm on April 14 1912 the unsinkable Titanic struck an iceberg. And in the early hours of April 15th the Titanic sank to the seabed with an enormous loss of life....

Margaret Thatcher nee Roberts (Oct 13 1925 - April 8 2013) 

Belated I know but I would like to mention here the passing of Margaret Thatcher, Prime Minister in the UK from 4 May 1979 - 28 November 1990. There has been mixed reactions to her death here in the UK. Love her or hate her, I personally respected her. I may not have agreed with all what she did but she always stuck to her word. And a little bit of extra information here, my mother went to school with Maggie, Grantham's Girls Grammar School....

Well, that's all for now. So until next time, take care....Hugs Chrissy x



No comments: