*************************************************************

Welcome to The Primitive Cornish Hovel. A place where I will share my love of prim, vintage, family history, many interests & everyday life. I hope to show you a glimpse of a bygone age through the history of my family & the many 'treasures' I hold dear. Mixed in with this will be snippets of life today. Do drop in again for a visit to see what is happening at 'The Hovel'. Comments are welcomed.

*************************************************************

Monday 15 April 2013

Remembering the Victims of the Hillsborough Disaster.....

 
 
 
Hello again from The Hovel...yes I know twice in two days but I thought I would post today in remberance of the victims of the disaster at Hillsborough Stadium on April 15 1989. It does not seem like 24 years since that terrible day. A day etched in many people's memory....
 
Hillsborough Memorial, Anfield
 
Twenty four years ago men, women and children had traveled to the stadium to watch Liverpool and Nottingham Forest play in the FA Cup semi-final match. Originating from Nottingham, this holds some meaning for me as some of my friends attended this match and fortunately survived. Many did not....
 
The Memorial at Hillsborough Stadium
 
Just after kick-off a crush barrier collapsed and people began to fall over each other....The worst disaster in football history claimed the lives of 96 men, women and children and left 766 people with injuries. I cannot imagine the emotional turmoil the survivors and familes went through. What should have been a happy day for fans turned into a nighmare. I can still see the headlines and pictures....God bless them...
 
The back porch June 2008
 
We just never know when something will happen that will change our lives. I for one believed a Guarian Angel was watching over me on April 9 of last week...
As you know my poorly granddaughter was staying with me. And what do you give poorly children? Ice cream, of course. Well the ice cream in question was sitting snuggly in the freezer outside in the utility room, which is situated to the right of the porch that can be seen in the above photo. And as you can see a porch in desperate need of repair but in 2008 was still holding strong. Not so last week nor for many months before...
 
The porch minus a section..
 
Yes I know, falling down is not the word for this. I'd been saying for months to hubby that we should get it demolished before it falls down.....well part of it did last week. I had just literally walled though the doorway and was just before the utility room door when I heard an almighty crash behind me. When I looked over my shoulder I saw a pile of broken glass & wood...Yes the triangle section had fallen out. Yes I was shaken, no I won't repeat here what I said and yes I was one lucky lady. My cat Phoenix was also lucky as I'd just picked her up and put her in the house....

Very unsafe...
 
Needs to be demolished pretty soon. There is a lot of glass in this porch but lack of funds is holding us up but we will get it sorted this week or else I may not be so lucky next time....
 
What's left of the fallen section..
 
This was one section I wanted to keep when it was demolished, I liked the shape..ha well...
 
My thoughts and prayers go out to the victims of the explosions in Boston, USA. Why? Innocent people again....
 
Well my friends I'm off to my bed. Due to a busy few weeks my body has rebelled, I am suffering from sciatica so need to rest up. Plus I have a very poorly hubby, he was diagnosed with bronchitis and a chest infection. What a pair we are...
 
So until next time take care...Hugs Chrissy xx

No comments: