*************************************************************

Welcome to The Primitive Cornish Hovel. A place where I will share my love of prim, vintage, family history, many interests & everyday life. I hope to show you a glimpse of a bygone age through the history of my family & the many 'treasures' I hold dear. Mixed in with this will be snippets of life today. Do drop in again for a visit to see what is happening at 'The Hovel'. Comments are welcomed.

*************************************************************

Tuesday 11 November 2008

Hello From The Hovel

**********
“Don’t forget me Sweetheart, while I’m absent
Often do I fondly think of you
Send a message to Your boy in Khaki
Tell him all You think and all You do”
~ ww1 postcard ~
**********

Hello from the Hovel, a name my house very much deserves at the moment. Yes, the builders are still here but the end is in sight regarding the bathroom. The hallway and lounge will be next, new ceilings, etc. Oh what fun!!!! Good excuse though not to clean house every day...hehe....

**********
Today being the 90th anniversary of the Armistice in WW1, I thought I would share with you some of my collection of embroidered silk postcards from that time.....
**********
Sent to a lady in Sussex, England
**********
They were first produced in 1914 and increased in popularity as the war progressed. However by 1919 less were produced and none were seen after 1923. The cards were generally hand embroidered on strips of silk mesh with as many as 25 on a strip. This beautiful work was mostly sewn by French and Belgian women refugees who worked in their homes and refugee camps. The finished strips were then sent to factories for cutting and mounting on postcards. Known as WW1 Silks, they became wildly popular with British and American servicemen serving in France. This is why many of the postcards seen are of a patriotic theme.....
**********


"Love from Frank"

The tiny greeting card inserted in the silk pocket
Who was Frank’s lady friend?

**********

Some of the cards had a central ‘envelope’ flap where a tiny printed greeting card could be inserted in a pocket behind the silk front, seen above and below.....

**********

“My Dear Mima, I will send you a letter as soon as I
get settled down again. I am quite well. J Hogg”
Sent to Scotland

**********

Many of the cards will not bear postage stamps as they were mailed home in Military Mail pouches. These cards became treasured mementos to family and friends, many bearing words of sentiment....

**********


From Will to a lady in Newport

**********



There is no name on this beautiful card and insert

**********

“Dear Murial, Just a card to let you know that
Dad has not forgot you. Love from Dad”


I hope they did meet again

**********

Silks showing the different regiments, etc, were also produced by these industrious unknown women.....

**********

Royal Flying Corps

**********

I was really pleased to find the one seen below. As an ex- psychiatric nurse I have a particular interest in the medical and nursing side of WW1....

**********

Royal Army Medical Corps

**********

Many cards would say Souvenir De France or a certain place such as Souvenir de Albert....

**********

Souvenir de Albert

***********

I was very lucky to find the one below, an actual card not a postcard. I purchased this from a seller in the US and when it arrived I was surprised to find hand-written on the inside “W.H. Reichenback, Water Tender, U.S. Navy”. Did he make it back home I wonder....

**********


Remembrance
“Wishes are nothing; ‘tis the heart
That in a few lines dwells
And says to those from us apart
More than greeting tells”

**********

Also popular were cards with the year embroidered on the front. The year below was an important year, did the sender of this card know that the end of the war was near.....

**********


This little greeting card folds in half and sits
Snugly in the silk pocket.
“Happy Christmas and Bright New Year”

**********

When the Armistice was signed 90 years ago Silks were produced to commemorate this. What a beautiful card with the most important message of all.....

**********

**********


These preserved examples of front-line art are unique to that period in history. I am proud to have them and thank the women who embroidered these beautiful Silks.....until next time...lol...

**********

6 comments:

annette emms said...

Chrissy, this seems most inappropriate in view of your lovely post, but I've tagged you. . . visit me if you want to play!

Heather said...

I have discovered your blog via Annette Emms. What a beautiful collection of silk cards you have. I remember seeing similar ones in my childhood but can't recall whose they were - maybe my Grandmother collected them. I wonder what happened to them. After World War 2 people chucked out so much 'old' stuff to make way for the new - many treasures must have been lost. I am always moved by war poetry and often don't have the courage to read it! I have noticed that people have posted poems on several blogs this November - it is good that so many do remember, especially the younger ones.

OzRose said...

Hi Chrissy, what a beautiful collection for you to share with us! Old artifacts such as yours - old photos (or should I say Carte de vistas) also fascinate me and get me wondering.....

KernowWitch said...

Thanks Annette!!!! Well, after thinking about it I've finally posted the 7 things about me, don't know if that's a good thing or not...hehe...Hugs Chrissy x

KernowWitch said...

Thanks for dropping by Heather and for your comments. I have collected silk cards for some years now and marvel at the fact that they have survived. The beautiful work by these unknown women are a lasting reminder of that time....I love your blog name and will be visiting later...Hugs Chrissy x

KernowWitch said...

Thanks Rose. I like you are fascinated by them. What could they tell us, who were these men & women and what lives did they live. At least people like you & me will remember them....Hugs Chrissy x