*************************************************************

Welcome to The Primitive Cornish Hovel. A place where I will share my love of prim, vintage, family history, many interests & everyday life. I hope to show you a glimpse of a bygone age through the history of my family & the many 'treasures' I hold dear. Mixed in with this will be snippets of life today. Do drop in again for a visit to see what is happening at 'The Hovel'. Comments are welcomed.

*************************************************************

Friday 5 March 2010

The Sun Shines for St. Piran's Day.....

*************************

*************************

Greetings from the Hovel on March 5th, St. Piran's Day and what beautiful sunny weather we have had despite it being cold. Thankfully it didn't rain because throughout Cornwall different events and parades would have taken place to mark this special day.

~~~~~~~~

St. Piran is the patron saint of Cornwall and tin-miners. According to legend, St. Piran was born in Ireland in the 6th century and possessed miraculous powers. The Irish kings grew afraid of his powers and cast him out to sea tied to a millstone. Despite the treacherous waters St. Piran survived and was washed ashore at Perranporth. To promote Christainity he began to build a Oratory, which is now preserved in the towans at Perran Sands......

St. Piran's Oratory (Photo by Tony Atkins)

In Grass Valley, California, St. Piran's Day is also celebrated to honor the Cornish miners who helped in the mines in the mid 19th century. A much closer venue for a parade was in Penzance but due to an appointment I was not able to go......



St. Piran's Day Parade, Penzance 2006



One event I was able to attend however was my grandson's birthday party held last Saturday and what a busy day it was......made so much easier thanks to my dear friend and 'adopted' daughter Vikki.........




Vikki on the left with friend Hannah...


I have known Vikki for about 8 years and was in fact a former girlfriend of my sons. Thankfully they have stayed good friends and I regard her like a daughter.....Now Vikki can be bossy..lol...but with a heart of gold and boy is she organized. Arriving mid-morning armed with bouncy castle, slide and other playtime goodies, she promptly set about preparing food. Charlotte and I were appointed kitchen porters, food and toy transporters. Thankfully the party was held across the road at the scout's hut so we didn't have far to go...lol...




Korenza loved going on the bouncy castle....



My dear assistant Nutty Nanny, aka as Charlotte, was in charge of music and lighting........




She did a great job...



And the party went with a swing...lol....
I have not posted the photos of the other children at the party because I have not asked their parents if it is ok. They all had a great time....




'Ok, so what do you do with this ?'...





Christopher and Dylan....



Christopher and Korenza...



'Aren't I a good sister helping Dylan with his presents'....


'Ok sis, where do we start'...

Always a little boy at heart...lol...


Hubby took a few days holiday off work this week and would you believe it he caught a cold and had tennis elbow...typical....but we did maanage to have some time to ourselves. Yesterday we went to one of my favorite beaches, Praa Sands near Helston......




It was a lovely sunny day....


While there I got talking to a local man who kindly showed me his garden, part of which overlooks the beach, the boundary can be seen in the photo below...I sat on a bench and it was heaven relaxing there and taking in the beautiful view of the beach and sea. What a great place to live...



The bench was just behind the fence...




Peaceful...




Calm for the moment...




Water flowing gently over rocks and sand to form a stream....




then gently flows into the sea....


~~~~~~~~
After a walk along the beach we finished the evening with a meal at the Sandbar at Praa Sands which also looks over the beach....It's great that the evenings are getting longer and that we are blessed with winter sunshine. I hope it's a hint of a good summer...until next time...Hugs Chrissy x.......






6 comments:

Cat Nap Inn Primitives said...

the photos are wonderful..glad you both had a great relaxing time...your grandbaby and son are handsome.:)

KernowWitch said...

Thanks Gina. I've started to learn how to use my camera at last..lol..Yes the boys in my family are handsome but then again I'm bias..lol...
I'm glad to be back, missed chatting to you....Hugs Chrissy x

Unknown said...

Photographs are very beautiful and nice blog.
- st austell in cornwall

KernowWitch said...

Thank you Andrew...As you can see I have not blogged for ages, miss it. Life's been hectic but hope to blogg again soon....I'm off to visit your blog now..lol..Hugs Chrissy x

KernowWitch said...

oops, can't visit your blog...

KernowWitch said...

Thank you Mark, appreciate your comments. Hugs Chrissy x