*************************************************************

Welcome to The Primitive Cornish Hovel. A place where I will share my love of prim, vintage, family history, many interests & everyday life. I hope to show you a glimpse of a bygone age through the history of my family & the many 'treasures' I hold dear. Mixed in with this will be snippets of life today. Do drop in again for a visit to see what is happening at 'The Hovel'. Comments are welcomed.

*************************************************************

Wednesday 24 June 2009

The Hovel Chronicles Continue........

********************
********************
Hello, it’s the nutty nanny from Cornwall again. The weather has been gloriously sunny here, after three years of wet summers it’s lovely to have a proper summer again. It was lovely to sit outside yesterday and have lunch with my grandees. Yes I was lucky to be able to spend a few hours again with my son and family. Korenza keeps us busy with wanting to explore everywhere and our little man Dylan is smiling for England. One proud nana here.........
~~~~~~~~~~~~
I had another thing to brighten up my day today my Mercantile Gatherings magazine arrived. I know you guys will already have yours but I had got up late due to feeling ill in the night, so this cheered me up. Luckily the magazine was intact unlike the copy belonging to poor Gina of Cat Nap Inn Primitives. Do nip over and read about the saga of the torn magazine, needless to say a young cute mutt was the culprit, sorry Gina....lol..........
********************
********************
Love this magazine
~~~~~~~~~~~~
I’m still doing catch so I will continue telling you all about our week in Nottingham.....
The day after our meal with Hannah and Dave, Thursday 7th May, Andy and I decided to go to some reclamation yards. Well I decided and Andy nicely obliged. If it was left to Andy we would live in a minimalistic modern house but he’s a darling and lets me have my vintage house and home........
~~~~~~~~~~~~
The first stop however was a visit to Eastwood’s library to find out more about Hannah’s cottage. A very helpful lady called Pam photocopied maps and found books for me. I found some interesting information about Hannah’s cottage and the area surrounding it. However this deserves a separate posting to do it justice so I will leave this for another day.......
~~~~~~~~~~~~
On Hannah’s recommendation our next visit that day was to Flourish Farm Antiques near Ilkeston, not far from where Hannah lives. And as the name suggests it was also a working sheep farm. My reason for this visit was to find some roof ridge tiles or similar with which to make rustic sconces for my bathroom. As we entered the traditional farmyard I knew that I may not be lucky but it was a pleasure to visit anyway........
~~~~~~~~~~~~

I wonder what type of house these once adorned



Is this a shoebox or coal box?




Luckily I have three cast iron fireplaces fitted already



Plastic brush meets vintage


I wasn’t disappointed either with what I found inside one of the farm buildings. Oh if only this was in Cornwall. Doors, doorknobs, black or brass door locks, tables, drawers, etc, all vintage that the owner had restored to their former glory. I know what you are thinking, are there no such places in Cornwall. Yes there is and we have a great one near us but it depends on who is there at the time. One of the owners may charge a £1 just for looking or the other one may not even acknowledge you, so usually no sale. If you are lucky enough to get in and find something you want they may charge over the odds, so I am not that egger to visit. But you know what it’s like when you visit other places you always find what you want.......


Can't wait to some plants for these...



And I wasn’t disappointed. Ok it’s not a future sconce but I saw the above steps in the yard and purchased them. They will look great with plants on them........





Work in progress at the farm, know the feeling...



Also the owner of the farm was able to give us directions to a possible place for my sconces. The steps were duly placed in the boot alongside my jars and charity shop finds and off we went. The place in question was Fletchers Timber of Spondon, Derby. Now the name conjures up the image of a wood yard and yes it does sell reclaimed wood and doors but that’s not all. If I had been passing I may not have stopped because on this occasion I was not looking for wood. Fortunately I was told by the lady at Flourish Farm that they sold all sorts of things. My when we arrived it was like entering reclamation heaven........



Oh I was tempted but I didn't look...maybe next time....



Fortunately already have some chimney pots in my garden...


Sadly I only have a few photos because I was caught out by a suspicious looking man who I later found out was called Bam. Bam could not have been more helpful and knew exactly what I was looking for. He took us to an area that must have had every type of roof tiles, edgings and decorative trim. Of course I was distracted on the way by other goodies but I had to remember that we were in a hired car. This place was huge, needed longer but the task was to find my potential sconces so look I did. Now I had a difficult choice to make and I could have gone mad but I stayed focused. Eventually after climbing and reaching and with Bam even going up ladders to look around for me, I made my choice. I was like a kid going Christmas shopping and came away with my ‘sconces’ and totally different ones to what I had in mind.......



Totally different to what I had in mind but I like them
Lets hope Guy can do welding, if not I've got to have a go...lol...



These are dark grey in colour


Don’t know yet which ones I will use inside and which ones outside, probably use the triangle shaped ones for my bathroom. Now not only did I find those above but the two below.....



Wanted to bring more but these were heavy enough.



These will make great candle holders either inside or out. I’ve still yet to clean them as one of them still contains soil......



I think these look good, Andy's not so sure!!!
No imagination...lol...
~~~~~~~~~~~~
I was dusty and my hands black but I did enjoy it. Andy was shaking his head as he always does yet he lets me get on with it, he is very good as he does have a lot to put up with. But that is part of the person I am and he did fall in love with me, poor man....lol...
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Our day didn’t finish here but I will tell you about that tomorrow. Until then take care....lol...





2 comments:

Cat Nap Inn Primitives said...

those are pretty neat..can't wait to see them all up and ready to do in your bathroom and outside..that place would have been neat to go through...glad you got your magazine minus the dog teeth..lol..have a wonderful day..:)

KernowWitch said...

Thanks Gina....I love candles in the bathroom when I am relaxing in the bath. So I thought that sconces would not only look decorative but safer too....
I have these ideas, ask Andy, and then try and work out how to do them...lol...I see a small candle holder soldered to the tile, will it work do you think? I'll ask Guy, the 'boss' of my builders. Wish me look...
The magazine is great and put well out of the way of the dogs...lol..
Hugs Chrissy x