*************************************************************

Welcome to The Primitive Cornish Hovel. A place where I will share my love of prim, vintage, family history, many interests & everyday life. I hope to show you a glimpse of a bygone age through the history of my family & the many 'treasures' I hold dear. Mixed in with this will be snippets of life today. Do drop in again for a visit to see what is happening at 'The Hovel'. Comments are welcomed.

*************************************************************

Monday 5 January 2009

On the Twelfth Day of Christmas My True Love Sent to Me....

On the twelfth day of Christmas,
my true love sent to me
Twelve drummers drumming,
Eleven pipers piping,
Ten lords a-leaping,
Nine ladies dancing,
Eight maids a-milking,
Seven swans a-swimming,
Six geese a-laying,
Five golden rings,
Four calling birds,
Three French hens,
Two turtle doves,
And a partridge in a pear tree!
~~~~
(or does it refer to the twelve points of doctrine in the Apostle's Creed?)
~~~~
********************
On this day in History
********************
January 5 1643: In the first record of a legal divorce in the American colonies, Anne Clarke of the Massachusetts Bay Colony is granted a divorce from her absent and adulterous husband, Denis Clarke....

********************

Nellie Tayloe Ross (November 29, 1876 – December 19, 1977)
On January 5, 1925, she became the first woman governor in the history of the United States. As governor of Wyoming she continued her late husband's policies, which called for tax cuts, government assistance for poor farmers, banking reform, and laws protecting children, women workers, and miners. She urged Wyoming to ratify a pending federal amendment prohibiting child labor. Like her husband, she advocated the strengthening of prohibition laws.

********************



On January 5 1896: German physicist Wilhelm Roentgen discovers X-rays. The first Nobel Prize in Physics was awarded to Wilhelm Conrad Röntgen, a German, "in recognition of the extraordinary services he has rendered by the discovery of the remarkable rays (or x-rays)....
********************
Well folks there you have it, the last day of the 12 Days of Christmas...phew!. I will be having a break from blogging until my granddaughter goes home. Christopher and Jane deserve this short break.....First day today, a little tiring but I've loved it. You forget what it's like having a toddler around, I will tell you all about it later. Charlotte is helping me, she's a star. She is sleeping in the same room as Korenza, I'm the day nanny and Charlotte is the night nanny. We have called ourselves The Nutty Nannies, even Korenza laughs at us...hehe....Until next time...lol....
********************

3 comments:

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

My dear ladye, I wish ye much energy for the nannying! So nice of you to take your granddaughter! See you when you "return" to blogging -- I'm sure you'll have lots of stories and pictures! Take care!

Cat Nap Inn Primitives said...

enjoy your visit as the "Nutty Nanny"..take care...:)

KernowWitch said...

Hi Holly & Gina, thanks for your wishes. It's been mad here today but that can wait. Korenza is a little princess who is teething with a cold but she is really good. It's freezing here....brrrr..Hugs The Nutty Nanny x